Re: AIX postgresql error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: AIX postgresql error
Date
List pgsql-general
Vikram Patil wrote:
>      On AIX while starting postgresql server I got this error
> . But server starts up without any issues.
>
> LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
>
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 8432? If
> not, wait a few seconds and retry.
>
> Could you please provide some input to avoid this warning /
> error ? Though its not harmful but its misleading

That should only be a problem if you want to use IPv6.

Can you connect to the server via network? If yes, then I wouldn't worry
about the message.

You can avoid the message by specifying an explicit IP address or
host name for the IPv4 connection in listen_addresses instead of "*".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe