Re: Rejecting weak passwords - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Rejecting weak passwords
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > pgAdmin MD5's the passwords if you use the GUI to change them, or when
> > add a user. It doesn't make any attempt to parse the SQL if you enter
> > it yourself in the query tool though (nor is it going to).
>
> No, I wouldn't expect it to go that far.  My point is just that
> pre-MD5'd passwords are a lot commoner than Albe seems to think.

Point taken.

I thought about it some more, and I think that a password checking
hook might still be somewhat useful even for MD5-encrypted passwords;
the function could guess and exclude at least that dreadful
all-too-frequent case of username = password.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe