Re: [ADMIN] Can we load all database objects in memory? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Can we load all database objects in memory?
Date
List pgsql-general
Iñigo Martinez Lasala wrote:
>> Hi All,   I have a database of 10GB. My Database Server has a
>> RAM of 16GB   Is there a way that I can load all the database
>> objects to memory?   Thanks for your time and taking a look
>> at this question.     Thanks Deepak
>
> Increase effective_cache_size parameter.
>
> An "effective_cache_size=11GB" should be more than enough.

Sorry, but that is quite wrong.
effective_cache_size only affects the planner, not memory utilization.

You can use shared_buffers=11GB to give PostgreSQL memory enough
to buffer all of a 10GB database in memory. But that does not
automatically put all the tables in memory.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe