Re: 2-phase commit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: 2-phase commit
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Here is a BSD-like licensed transaction monitor:

http://tyrex.sourceforge.net/tpmonitor.html

The stuff that eventually became Tuxedo and Encina was open source from
MIT (not sure what came of it).  You used to be able to download the
source code for their transaction monitor that worked on the IBM RS/2.

This is the Transaction Internet Protocol:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/OLD/tip-charter.html
It should be considered very seriously as a general solution to the
problem.

I mention this, because a transaction monitor is the next logical step
in managing database activity.
Two phase commit is a subset of transaction processing.

Interesting discussion:
http://www.developer.com/db/article.php/10920_2246481_2
http://www.developer.com/java/data/article.php/10932_3066301_4

Article worth a look (win32 specific, but talks about developing a
transaction monitor):
http://archive.devx.com/free/mgznarch/vcdj/1998/octmag98/dtc1.asp

Some simple background for those who have not spent much time looking
into it:
http://www.geocities.com/rajesh_purohit/db/twophasecommit.html