Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Because you had to buy several packages to solve your problems.  You
have (perhaps) Peoplesoft for HR, and SAP for CRM, Supply Chain and some
others.  You bought an Oracle package for manufacturing, and you run
your web server on PostgreSQL.  Nearly every large business has this
problem.
> (Obviously, this only addresses cases where you'd have put
> the multiple databases under one postmaster, but that's the
> scenario people seem to be concerned about.)

Heterogenius database access is another realistic scenario.  In order to
solve this, you would need to be able to specify an ODBC, JDBC or OLEDB
table as a partner in transactions.