Re: No merge sort? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: No merge sort?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

This is wrong.  If I choose a single median, based on a pattern (e.g.
first/last/middle elements) then the probability is very high that I
have made a bad choice.  If I choose the median from a sample of 3, then
it is less likely that I have made a bad choice.  If I choose the median
from a sample of 32 elements chosen at random, it becomes extremely
unlikely that I have made a stupid choice.  If I choose the median based
by examination of every element, the chance that I have chosen the wrong
pivot is zero.  This technique [choosing from several sample pivots from
a random sample] clearly makes failure due to perverse cases less
likely.  Also, a good quicksort algorithm will also make a scan for
sequential or reversed data ordering on the partition.

By using a sample of many medians, the chances of choosing the wrong
median go down.  By randomizing the selection, the changes of being
fooled by a pattern go down.  Most real data has some pattern to it.
> > When sorting data, if all the information fits into memory any good
> > O(n*log(n)) technique is probably good enough. For one million
> > records,
> > n*log2(n) is just 20 million.  20 million comparison and exchange
> > operations are an eye-blink on fast, modern hardware when
> performed in
> > memory.
>
> Woah, this is extremely dangerous thinking. For all you know
> the application needs to execute this sort 200 times per second...

We are talking about SQL database applications.  If they need to sort
one million records 20 times per second, they have a serious design
flaw, either in the database or the application.
> Applications that can execute their queries entirely in
> memory are frequently OLTP applications that need response
> within a hard upper limit. Often that upper limit is measured
> in milliseconds...

The choice of internal sort routine (for any of the good ones) will only
change the speed by a small, constant factor for a given distribution.
For any choice of algorithm, there will be some data sets where any of
the alternatives would have been better.

These algorithms are all about the same:
Quicksort (as modified by Richard Singleton -- the original is useless
for serious work)
Heapsort
Mergesort

The heapsort algorithm has the highest constant cost of the three, but
never goes perverse and does not require additional memory.
The mergesort algorithm requires additional memory and the allocation
can fail.  This means that it is not certain that it can be performed.
The quicksort algorithm has three perverse cases for the standard
algorithm (sorted/reversed/organpipe) but all of these can be detected
and prevented.