Re: Operators and schemas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Operators and schemas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Eisentraut [mailto:peter_e@gmx.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 3:33 PM
To: Fernando Nasser
Cc: Tom Lane; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Operators and schemas

Fernando Nasser writes:

> I agree.   And for Entry level SQL'92 we are done -- only tables,
> and grants are required.  The multiple schemas per user is already
> an intermediate SQL feature -- for intermediate SQL'92 we would still
> need domains and a character set specification.
>
> For SQL'99, we would have to add types, functions and triggers
> (only triggers are not part of Core SQL'99, but I would not leave them
out).

I can hardly believe that we want to implement this just to be able to
check off a few boxes on the SQL-compliance test.  Once you have the
ability to use a fixed list of statements in this context it should be
easy to allow a more or less arbitrary list.  Especially if they all
start
with the same key word it should be possible to parse this.

Items like "schema" are a part of the language for a reason.  Being
able to create a schema in an area called 'test' and another in an area
called 'development' and yet another in an area called 'production' is
a key feature for real business usefulness.

IMO-YMMV.