Re: single task postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: single task postgresql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
-----Original Message-----
From: Hannu Krosing [mailto:hannu@krosing.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:54 PM
To: Oleg Bartunov
Cc: Pgsql Hackers
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] single task postgresql

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 17:52, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Having frustrated with performance on Windows box I'm wondering if
it's
> possible to get postgresql optimized for working without shared
memory,
> say in single-task mode. It looks like it's shared memory emulation on
disk
> (by cygipc daemon) is responsible for performance degradation.
> In our project we have to use Windows for desktop application and it's
> single task, so we don't need shared memory. In principle, it's
possible
> to hack cygipc, so it wouldn't emulate shared memory and address calls
> to normal memory, but I'm wondering if it's possible from postgres
side.

You might also be interested in hacking the threaded verion to run on
native windows without cygwin.

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 02:19, mkscott@sacadia.com wrote:
> For anyone interested, I have posted a new version of multi-threaded
> Postgres 7.0.2 here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtpgsql

I did a modification of a port of POSIX threads to NT so that I can run
UNIX threaded chess programs on NT.  I don't know if it will work with
the threaded PostgreSQL server, but you are welcome to try.
Here is the stuff I did, you are free to use it however you like:
ftp://cap.connx.com/pub/amy/pthreads.ZIP
<<