Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date
Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue  ("Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu>)
Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-hackers

I believe that the surprise is at the focus, when it comes to a release.
With commercial products (anyway) if you have any sort of show-stopper
bug (crashing, incorrect results, etc.) you do not release the tool
until the bug, and all others like it, are fixed.  Bugs that have to do
with appearance or convenience can be overlooked for a release as long
as they are documented in the release notes.  Now, it is not unlikely
that there are unintentional show-stopper bugs that get through Q/A.
But intentionally passing them through would be incompetent for a
commercial enterprise.

With open source projects, the empasis tends to be on features, with far
less regard for correcting known problems.  Even bugs that can cause a
crash seem to be viewed as acceptable if they happen rarely.

Now, at first blush, the open source strategy seems ludicrous.  After
all, who will want to use a product which could potentially (albeit
unlikely) destroy your data or give wrong results?  Then, after a bit of
thought, you can see that the same sort of strategy as the open source
projects *is* followed by one very large and very successful software
giant.  So maybe "burgeoning featuritis without extreme concern for
robust stability" isn't such a stupid strategy after all. ;-)

All kidding aside, I would like to see increased emphasis on stability
and correctness.  But I will admit that it is a lot less fun than adding
new features.