From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date
Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in  (Mark Pritchard <mark@tangent.net.au>)
Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in  (Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net>)
List pgsql-hackers

Most computer virus problems are caused by buffer overrun.  Someone
decided it wasn't very important.

Some computer viruses have caused billions of dollars in damage.  Sounds
important to me.

"Please try our database.  Someday, we hope to close off all the virus
entry points, but right now, we figure it isn't too important."

Will you trust your multi-million dollar database to someone who says
the above?  I think the priorities are upside down.  Any *known*
buffer-overrun _must_ be repaired, and as quickly as possible.  And
potential overruns should be identified.  A grep for memcpy, strcpy,
gets, etc. should hunt down most of them.  A known buffer overrun should
fill the designer of a product with abject terror.  And I really mean
that, literally.  If you *know* of a buffer overrun, and simply decide
not to fix it, that sounds very negligent to me.  For a public project
like PostgreSQL, there is probably very little liability for the
programmers, but I am thinking of the damage that can be inflicted upon
potential clients using the database.