Re: pervasiveness of surrogate (also called synthetic) keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Ribe
Subject Re: pervasiveness of surrogate (also called synthetic) keys
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 28, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:

> Hm, I get the feeling that only the good folks at Hibernate seem to think using a "natural key" is the _only_ way to
go.

Well, natural keys are quite obviously the way to go, when they exist. The problem is, they usually don't really exist.
What'susually proposed as a natural key, will upon further investigation, either not be guaranteed unique, or not
guaranteedto be unchanging, or both.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com