Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On July 26, 2018 8:14:57 PM PDT, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

>> On Jul 26, 2018, at 20:09, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>>
>> Do you, perhaps, have any insight into why those users are currently
>> using the .tar format?
>
>Inertia, in most cases; some of those procedures have been around since
>8.1 days.  Custom format (or a tar'd parallel dump) would be an
>undoubtedly superior choice.  A long depreciation window would cover a
>lot of those situations.

Yea, that obviously would be called for (see also the subject of my email). I'd assume we'd do something like
deprecatingthe dump side in 12, removing it in 13. The restore side would then be removed in 12+5. Or similar.

Andres