pg_tables and temp tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject pg_tables and temp tables
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi:

How user specific is pg_tables when it comes to temporary tables? It seems to pick up the existence of a a temp table created by the same user but a different session.  Here’s the demo scenario....

Session 1:

mydb=# create temporary table foo (a int);

Session 2:

stdb2=# select tablename from pg_tables where tablename = 'foo';

 tablename

-----------

 foo

(1 row)

Session 1:

stdb=# drop table foo;

Session 2:

stdb2=# select tablename from pg_tables where tablename = 'foo';

 tablename

(0 rows)

mydb=# insert into foo (a) values (3);

ERROR:  relation "foo" does not exist

So Session 2 is detecting foo, but it doesn’t own it.

I can live with this as long as there’s a way that I can determine if the table it found does not belong to the current session.  Is there a more elegant way of doing this other than trying to do something with the table (select, insert, delete...) and trapping a failed attempt? The contents of pg_tables appears to be the same from both the owning and non-owning sessions.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

v8.2.0 on 64-bit suse-linux

-dave