Re: Temporary, In-memory Postgres DB? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: Temporary, In-memory Postgres DB?
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes, I'm thinking of a small DB (could fit into mem).  And the notion
that all the data would reside in memory makes sense.  But what about
the metadata?  And there is the question of the "initdb" and all the
stuff it creates.  That goes to disk, yes? no?

Another question, but first my tenuous understanding of how dbs are
created, up for critique...

- "initdb" creates (on disk) all the stuff you need to have before you
"createdb".
- "createdb" creates a db (puts it in the place you designated with
"initdb")
- "create schema" can be used to create multiple schemas in a singel DB.

- "drop schema" can be used to get rid of a schema within a db
- "dropdb" can be used to get rid of a db that was created with
"createdb"
Q: How does one get rid of whatever gets created with "initdb"? Is it
(gulp) just a "rm -r" ?

I do have access to scratch disks which, in effect, could be used as a
temporary storage area.  IOW, if something goes wrong, and I don't get
to delete a db that was created on the scratch disk, it'll get cleaned
up for me overnight.  It's just a question of how long it'll take to
initdb + createdb + create a db model + load.

Thanks for the expert advise !

-dave