Re: Storing GI Data in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kasia Tuszynska
Subject Re: Storing GI Data in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi Stephen,

I am not sure if this is the information you are looking for but ESRI is in the process of developing their ArcSDE technology for PostgreSQL. If you are familiar with the ESRI suite of software, ArcSDE is the spatial database engine which allows for storing vector and raster data along with their relationships in an rdbms – i.e a geodatabase.

So far all of the rdbms’ were commercial ( Informix, db2, oracle and sql server) but around the early part of 2008 postgresql will be added to the list. The spatial type that postgres will utilize will allow for non ESRI applications like MapInfo or AutoCAD to interact with the data on the sql level. Meaning, that you will be able to query the vertices that make up the geometry along with attributes through sql functions provided for consumption by non ESRI products, but the geodatabase relationships, along with visualization of the data will be available through ArcGIS clients.

I did not mean to sound like a marketing spiel, I have been working on this project for a while now and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

Kasia Tuszynska

ArcSDE Product Engineer

ESRI