Re: .pgpass not working - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Chobot
Subject Re: .pgpass not working
Date
List pgsql-general
On May 4, 2012, at 9:30 AM, Rebecca Clarke wrote:

I do not want to touch the pg_hba.conf so I have generated the .pgpass file.
The permissions is set to 600, and I have correctly inputted the details into .pgpass, there are no leading spaces.

myhostname:myport:*:postgres:mypassword

However I am still prompted for a password.
I have tested pg_dump as well and it prompts also.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be the culprit. Is there somewhere I need to specify to tell the system to look into the .pgpass file?

Where is the .pgpass file? If it's not in ~/.pgpass or doesn't have the right ownership (your permissions are good) then it won't be used. If it's in a different location, you might need to make use of the PGPASSFILE environment variable.

If you really get stuck, you can always strace psql or pg_dump and see if it has problems opening your .pgpass file.