Re: PostgreSQL survey - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL survey
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Dec 9, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Cesar Massaki Kamiya wrote:<br /><blockquote type="cite">1. Anyone using PostgreSQL for
ourreporting on Postgres. Our largest OLTP database is ~1.8TB and the last time I measured it (almost 2 years ago) it
averaged640TPS and peaked at over 4kTPS.<br /><br />Downtime on that database costs the company well over
wehave several servers with 1/2TB of memory. The vast majority of that memory is used by the filesystem cache.<br /><br
/><blockquotetype="cite">3. What OS you are using to run this mission critical system on PostgreSQL ? Linux, Unix ?<br
useCommand Prompt for our formal support contract, but we have also used consulting services from PgX and 2nd
Quadrant.<br/><br />As others have mentioned, support on the mailing list is generally excellent and you will have a
challengehiring someone that is highly knowledgable in Postgres (I would estimate the pool of people who could be
consideredexperts in Postgres and would consider a job offer in the US to be less than 1000). Your best bet may be to
findsomeone who is experienced in a number of other RDBMSes and is willing to learn Postgres. Just make sure to bump up
theircompensation as they become experienced or you risk loosing them (my rule of thumb is that PG knowledge is worth
~25%more than comparable Oracle knowlege).<br />--<br />Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect