Re: Unexpected PostgreSQL performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Cody Phanekham
Subject Re: Unexpected PostgreSQL performance degradation
Date
List pgsql-novice

I did a off-schedule vacuuming of the DB, ran the test straight after. No improvement in performance at all. How do you
checkif the vacuum is adequate?

The behavior you describe sounds a lot like table or
> index bloat.  Tables bloat if you don't vacuum often enough
> to keep the
> amount of free space within what the free space map (FSM) can hold.
> (You can cure this by increasing the FSM size, or by vacuuming more
> often, or a combination.)

I'll let the server admin know to increase the FSM.

>Indexes bloat if the range of indexed keys
> moves significantly --- in PG 7.3 there is not a lot you can do about
> this except to REINDEX periodically.  (The index bloat problem is
> thought to be largely solved in 7.4, however.)

Unfortunately we cant upgrade to 7.4 at this time :(

This e-mail, including any attachments to it, may contain confidential and/or personal information.
If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not copy, distribute, or disclose it, use or take any action
based on the information contained within it.

Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail of the error and then delete the original e-mail.

The information contained within this e-mail may be solely the opinion of the sender and may not necessarily
reflect the position, beliefs or opinions of Salmat on any issue.

This email has been swept for the presence of computer viruses known to Salmat's anti-virus systems.

For more information, visit our website at  www.salmat.com.au.