Re: FInding "corrupt" values in UTF-8 tables (regexp question, I think) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: FInding "corrupt" values in UTF-8 tables (regexp question, I think)
Date
List pgsql-general
[Please reply to the list so that others may benefit from and
participate in the discussion.]

On Aug 17, 2007, at 12:50 , Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> On 18/08/07, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 17, 2007, at 10:58 , Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>>

>>> What would be the SQL to find data of this nature? My column can
>>> only
>>> have alphanumeric data, and the only symbols allowed are "-" and
>>> "_",
>>> so I tried this regexp query:
>>>
>>>     select id, t_code
>>>     from traders
>>>     where t_code ~ '[^A-Za-z1-9\-]'
>>>

>> If you're including - in a range as a character, doesn't it have to
>> go first?
>> Try this:
>>
>> WHERE t_code ~ $re$[^-A-Za-z1-9_]$re$
>>

> Thanks, yes, this is sweet!
>
> If I include this into a check constraint on the table, would that be
> very resource intensive for INSERTs and UPDATEs?

Maybe. I don't know. What's very? Measure, change, and measure again.
Premature optimization and all that. :) First I make it correct.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net