FW: "Priority Mechanisms for OLTP and Transactional Web Applications" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject FW: "Priority Mechanisms for OLTP and Transactional Web Applications"
Date
List pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: harchol+@mor.sync.cs.cmu.edu [mailto:harchol+@mor.sync.cs.cmu.edu]

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:44 PM
To: Dann Corbit
Cc: cache+@cs.cmu.edu; harchol@cs.cmu.edu; natassa@cmu.edu;
bianca@cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: "Priority Mechanisms for OLTP and Transactional Web
Applications"

Dear Dann,
      First of all, thank you for your interest in our work.  We've
got quite a few different priority implementations, based on our
papers in: ICDE 2004, ICDE 2005, TOIT 2005, TOCS 2003, and some newly
submitted papers that we just sent to VLDB 2005.

Some of our most recent work, being led by my student Bianca
Schroeder, deals with implementing the priority mechanism *externally*
to the DBMS.  The mechanism is a "black box" that sits between the web
server and the DBMS and schedules which transactions are allowed to be
sent into the DBMS and when.  We find that this simple "external black
box" achieves comparable results to scheduling internally to the DBMS
and yet is far more portable, since it can work as a front-end to any
DBMS.

If you are interested in the most recent "external approach" described
above, please let me know and I will gladly forward to you our recent
proposal on this idea and some papers in submission.

All our earlier work deals with "internal scheduling approaches"
(scheduling *within* the DBMS or the OS).  The relevant papers there
can be found on my web page or that of my students, and David
McWherter would be happy to help answer questions on implementation.
                                With best regards,                                       Mor

P.S. I didn't cc to "pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org" since I wasn't
sure how far that list extended and didn't want to SPAM folks, but
feel free to pass on the above message if you think it's relevant
to these folks.

-------------------------------
Mor Harchol-Balter
Associate Professor