Re: Unique Index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Unique Index
Date
Re: Unique Index  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-general
Would the constraint not be satisfied if each combination (including
NULL) were not also forced to be unique?

I maintain that the constraint is still satisfied.

So, it is satisfied if I stuff thousands of NULL values in there.

And it is satisfied if I only allow a single NULL value.

With multiple columns, it might be set such that each combination must
be unique, like binary counting.

Let me also state that I agree: allowing null values in a unique index
is ludicrous.  But if it is allowed, I think forcing the combinations to
be single valued makes more sense than allowing any number of them.