Re: 110,000,000 rows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: 110,000,000 rows
Date
List pgsql-general

There really are domains that big, so that there is no more normalization or other processes to mitigate the problem.

Examples:
Microsoft's registered customers database (all MS products bought by any customer, including operating systems)
Tolls taken on the New Jersey road system for FY 2009
DNA data from the Human Genome Project
Protein data from the Protein Folding Project
The US Census bureau's Tiger/Line data
Online orders processed by Amazon.com
Cellular phone calls for t-Mobile for 2008
FedEx shipments worldwide in 2008

We work with mainframe data on a regular basis and files of that size are not really very unusual.  Expansion of data
isexponential over time.  We need to prepare for it.  Database systems that cannot handle the volume will be supplanted
bythose that can.