Re: Proposal to sync SET ROLE and pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: Proposal to sync SET ROLE and pg_stat_activity
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On Mittwoch, August 27, 2008 09:35:03 +0200 Grant Finnemore
<grant@guruhut.com> wrote:

> I have a session pool, where all connections to the database are
> obtained as a superuser. On issuing connections to the client, we
> invoke either SET ROLE or SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION and switch to
> a role with less permissions. This means that we don't have to
> reserve a connection per user, and we can still use the database
> access restrictions.

But you have to ensure that your session pool is smaller than
max_connections, since this will eat up superuser_reserved_connections and
would make administrator intervention  impossible under certain
circumstances.

And why do you need to hack pg_stat_activity, isn't it possible to plug
your own view in?

--  Thanks
                   Bernd