Dump produces file with new line characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Spruill
Subject Dump produces file with new line characters
Date
List pgsql-general

This is probably a newbie question but here goes:

We are using Postgres 7.3 on Red Hat 9.  We are doing dumps with a script that does:

pg_dump  databasename > outfile 2>> logfile

The resulting dump files occasionally have a  \N at the end of a line of data following the copy command.  This causes
aproblem when I try to load them back in bacause psql thinks the \N (a new line character?) is a psql command.  So, how
doI avoid the \N in the dump and/or ignore it in the reload?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark Spruill

770.448.3900
mark.spruill@mightyautoparts.com