Process priority. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Theo Galanakis
Subject Process priority.
Date
List pgsql-sql

Hi,
        I wrote a C program that can be called through postgres via stored procedures. It allows you to change the current postmaster process priority.

        Essentially it's intended purpose would be to allow a highly resource intensive postmaster process to run at a lower priority, allowing other postmaster processes more cpu time. For example admin/reporting backend sql's that impact the system. I guess this is the same as renice, however it can be accessed programatically from the postgres box via any client.

        The three stored procs are as follows:

        get_pid()
        get_priority()
        set_priority(int) <!--- setting a negative number(high priority) requires root access, typical usage would be to set a lower priority, i.e. of 20.

        I would not use this as a alternative to setting up a replication slave for reporting on a large production system.

        I have attached the source code, it has already been compiled for redhat Linux ES3. There is a README file to get you started. This was my first attempt at writing a c function for postgres.

        <<priority.rar>>

Theo Galanakis
Database Administrator
Lonely Planet Publications
90 Maribyrnong St, Footscray
Melbourne, Vic 3011
Australia

tel +61 3 8379 8000 ext 8395
fax + 61 3 8379 8111
theo_galanakis@lonelyplanet.com.au

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright. If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone. You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.
Attachment