RE: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jamison, Kirk
Subject RE: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 2:30 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-Nov-15, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>>
> > > This new option would not only mitigate the long shared_buffers
> > > scan, it would also get rid of the replication conflict caused by
> > > the AccessExclusiveLock taken during truncation, which is discussed
> > > in
> > > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/c9374921e50a5e8fb1ecf04eb8c6eb
> > > c3%40postgrespro.ru and seems to be a more difficult problem than
> > > anticipated.
> >
> > FWIW I was just reminded yesterday that the AEL-for-truncation has
> > been diagnosed to be a severe problem in production, and with no other
> > solution in sight, I propose to move forward with the stop-gap.

I just want to ask whether or not we could proceed with this approach for now and
if it is possible that we could have this solution integrated before PG12 development ends?

Regards,
Kirk Jamison