Re: Planner cost adjustments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Begin
Subject Re: Planner cost adjustments
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank Tomas,
Here are few answers to your questions/comments

- Write cache is the on-drive write cache and I agree on the risks... I
plugged them on a UPS.
- Spread over is done with tablespaces
- 30% & 40% ratios are that 3 indexes/10 and 4 tables/10 are larger than
10GB
- Confused comments about random_page_cost setting? Well, I was just citing
the doc I found that was confusing for me (at this stage!-)
- Sadly I haven't provided any example queries? Well you are right. When I
found this strange behavior a couple of weeks ago, I did not questioned
myself too much and did not keep comparison stats, but as things are moving
forward, I am expecting the problem to rise again so I asked the list hoping
there was a simple "just do that" answer floating around. However, as PT
suggested, at one point I will have to run new tests and I'll then let you
know :-)
- Why are you tuning temp_buffers? Simply because looking at others config
(on the web) they tend to have more than the standard value while dealing
with large and complex queries
- Shouldn't you tune shared_buffers instead? Yes but I forgot to mention
that...
Shared_buffers = 128MB, since it seems that "on Windows the useful range is
64MB to 512MB".

Best regards,
Daniel