Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Begin
Subject Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST
Date
Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST  (Nathan Clayton <nathanclayton@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

Thank, there is a lot of potential ways to resolve this problem!

For Rob, here is a bit of context concerning my IT environment…

Windows 7 64b Desktop, running with an Intel i7 core and 16GB ram. The PostgreSQL 9.3 database is stored on a 3TB external drive (USB-3 connection with write cache enabled and backup battery) and a temp_tablespaces is pointing to a 1TB internal drive.

Now, let me answered/questioned given proposals in the order I received them…

1-      Andy, I will set maintenance_work_mem as large as I can unless someone points to an important caveat.

2-      Vick, partitioning the table could have been very interesting. However, I will have to query the table using both the node ID (which could have provided a nice partition criterion) and/or the node location (find nodes within a polygon). I am not familiar with table partition but I suspect I can’t create a spatial index on a table that have been partitioned (split into multiple tables that inherit from the “master" table). Am I right?

3-      Rémi, so many rows does not necessarily mean either raster or points cloud (but it’s worth asking!-).  As I mentioned previously, I must be able to query the table not only using nodes location (coordinates) but also using the few other fields the table contains (but mainly node IDs). So, I don’t think it could work, unless you tell me otherwise?

4-      Paul, the nodes distribution is all over the world but mainly over inhabited areas. However, if I had to define a limit of some sort, I would use the dateline.  Concerning spatial queries, I will want to find nodes that are within the boundary of irregular polygons (stored in another table). Is querying on irregular polygons is compatible with geohashing?

Regards,

Daniel