PostgreSQL Security/Roles/Grants - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Hall
Subject PostgreSQL Security/Roles/Grants
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,<br /><br />I come from an Oracle background and wonder if anyone could provide some background information on how
bestto implement an application security scheme in PostgreSQL using roles / grants.<br /><br />I'd just like to outline
rolewhich is activated at login time. Oracle imposes a limit on the number of default roles which any given user can
have.<br/><br />2. Non-default role -> a role which has to be explicitly activated during the lifecycle of an
applicationin order to gain access to database resources. There are no limits on the number of non-default roles. This
typeof role helps us to only provide a user with the minimal set of privileges that they require at any given time, and
minimisetheir access to database resources.<br /><br />I have looked through the PostgreSQL documentation, and cannot
findanything analogous to the 'non-default role' which I have outlined above - although obviously it does support
isthere a limit on the number of roles which can be assigned to a user (or more accurately a 'login role') in
<ahref="http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/" target="_new">Learn more.</a>