RE: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Neyman
Subject RE: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro
Date
List pgsql-general

From: Dale Seaburg [mailto:kg5lt@verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:10 PM
To: pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro

Thanks to Moreno and Igor for the Event Viewer suggestions.  Here are a few lines of log file where they differ between a good install and a bad incomplete install.  The good install was from my Shop PC with Windows 10 Pro.

BTW, I had success with another Dell PC with Win 10 Pro about 4 months ago.  This problem appears to be a one-off.

Good Install:
Called AclCheck(C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data)
Called IsVistaOrNewer()...
    'winmgmts' object initialized...
    Version:10.
    MajorVersion:10
Executing icacls to ensure the SHOP-PC\Dale account can read the path C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data
    Executing batch file 'rad0510A.bat'...
    processed file: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Bad Install:
Called AclCheck(D:\PostgreSQL\9.6\data)
Called IsVistaOrNewer()...
    'winmgmts' object initialized...
    Version:10.
    MajorVersion:10
Executing icacls to ensure the WINDOWS-6BEGVO1\don king account can read the path D:\PostgreSQL\9.6\data
    Executing batch file 'rad6DBC7.bat'...

Notice the last four lines of the Good Install vs the last two lines of the Bad Install.  There is no indication of processing, or whether it was successful or not in the bad install.

As you can see, I even took Igor's suggestion to install in a non-system (Program Files) path, to no success.

Again, not sure what to do.  Open for suggestions...  I'm almost ready to call Dell and complain about a "bad" Win 10 Pro install.

Dale

Dale,

The problem isn’t in “bad” Win10 Pro install.

The problem is that Win10 on this machine is  configured differently from Win10 machine where your install worked fine.

In Windows there is a “default” association between file types/extensions and programs that execute these files by default.  Batch files like 'rad6DBC7.bat'   shouldn’t have any association, Win OS knows that this type should be executed by OS, like .exe types.  But sometimes Windows users change it, and associate .bat files with Notepad (or some other text editor) in order to be able to edit batch scripts. By the way, batch file names are different in “good” and “bad” installations because those are temporary files created by vbs scripts that are running during install.

So, in order to fix this you need to dissociate .bat type/extension from Notepad, or whatever text editor it is associated on the “bad” Windows. If you don’t know where to look for this feature in Win OS, ask someone who’s more familiar with windows environment.

Pretty sure that’s the solution of your problem.

Regards,

Igor Neyman