RE: BUG #17747: Registry entry "Base Directory" is not populated if you only install Command-line tools - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Laing
Subject RE: BUG #17747: Registry entry "Base Directory" is not populated if you only install Command-line tools
Date
In response to BUG #17747: Registry entry "Base Directory" is not populated if you only install Command-line tools  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-bugs

To be clear, we scan ALL registry keys under HKLM\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\ and launch the psql.exe that is located in the HIGHEST version.

I’m not reporting that installing 15.1 does not populate the 14 keys.

The perils of cut/pasting from a live RegEdit session…

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
Sent: Thursday, 12 January 2023 10:37 AM
To: pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org
Cc: Jeff Laing <Jeff.Laing@synchronoss.com>
Subject: BUG #17747: Registry entry "Base Directory" is not populated if you only install Command-line tools

Bug reference:      17747

Logged by:          Jeff Laing

Email address:      jeff.laing@synchronoss.com

PostgreSQL version: 15.1

Operating system:   Windows

Our environment launches psql.exe via an intermediary application which

locates it by scanning the registry.

When a full installation of PostgreSQL is present, the

HKLM\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-14\Base Directory

value can be retrieved and the full path to psql.exe determined.

If a command-line-tools-only installation was used, this registry value is

not populated.