Re: capacity of datatype "text" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: capacity of datatype "text"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 19, 2004, at 1:14 AM, David Garamond wrote:

> btw, TEXT is one of those postgres-specific features that makes you
> stick (stuck? :-) with postgres. nowadays, i never ever have to bother
> to think whether to give a column a max width of 32, 50, 64, 100, 150,
> ... is that a bad thing

I don't think it is a bad thing. Unless there is a clear and specific
limit related to the domain, why create one? You can create a last name
field with 20, 30, or 50 characters but there are no rules in the world
that will ensure you picked the right limit.

I guess it is only a bad thing if you have to consider porting your
PostgreSQL database. Hopefully it won't ever happen :).

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL