Re: INSERT INTO ... SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Vernon Smith
Subject Re: INSERT INTO ... SELECT
Date
List pgsql-sql
Coincidentally, I have a very similar case using some twists.

The table I want to insert data is something like

table A (
user01 int,
user02 int,
primary key (user01, user02),
CHECK ( user01 < user02 )
);

And the user table is:

tabe user_table (
user int constraint pk_user primary key UNIQUE, --PK
...,
email varchar(25) not null,
};

In the insertion statement, the user02 is obtained by a subselect statement: "select user from user where email=?".

There may not exist the email in the user table. And if yes, the check condition may not be met. If the condition is
notmet, the two user IDs need to be switched.

How the query shall be construted?

Thanks for any suggestions.

v.