Re: Add Column BEFORE/AFTER another column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Add Column BEFORE/AFTER another column
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Matthew wrote:

> Hey Bill,
>
>> It does not.
>
>     Bummer.
>
>> To get your columns in a specific order, specify the column names in
>> that order in your SELECT statement.  The SQL standard doesn't
>> provide
>> for any other way to guarantee column order, and neither does
>> Postgres.
>
>     Yes, I realize this and we do identify our columns during select
> statements, but when you look at a table using a tool like
> phpPGAdmin or
> pgAdmin3, the columns are displayed in some defined order.  It's much
> easier to see your data/columns in some logical order (ie: all the
> cost
> columns next to each other).

Using a view might give you what you're looking for:

   abacus=# select * from access_role;
    id | name
   ----+-------
     1 | user
     2 | admin
   (2 rows)

   abacus=# create view bass_ackwards as select name, id from
access_role;
   CREATE VIEW
   abacus=# select * from bass_ackwards;
    name  | id