Re: copy csv eclosed by analog quotes problem superuser ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Pavlov
Subject Re: copy csv eclosed by analog quotes problem superuser ?
Date
List pgsql-general
use this:

$ psql -Uyer_user -dyer_database -fyer_copy_script.sql <
yer_data_file.csv

where yer-copy-script.sql is:

-- -------------------------------------
drop table foo;

create table foo (
c01 varchar,
c02 varchar,
c03 varchar,
c04 varchar,
c05 varchar,
c06 varchar,
c07 varchar,
c08 varchar,
c09 varchar,
c10 varchar,
c11 varchar
);

\COPY foo FROM pstdin WITH csv

select * from foo;
-- -------------------------------------

if you want more control over \COPY you can issue something like this:

\COPY foo FROM pstdin WITH delimiter as ',' quote as '"' csv

although in your case that is not needed since your data file falls
under the default settings.

if your data file is truly "huge" i do recommend you use COPY instead of
\COPY because performance is better. and yes, you do have to be the
postgres user to run COPY

all of the COPY and \COPY options, by the way, are nicely explained in
the documentation.

hope this helps.

george