Re: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mohan, Ross
Subject Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I've been doing some reading up on this, trying to keep up here,
and have found out that (experts, just yawn and cover your ears)

1) some SATA drives (just type II, I think?) have a "Phase Zero"
    implementation of Tagged Command Queueing (the special sauce
    for SCSI).
2) This SATA "TCQ" is called NCQ and I believe it basically
    allows the disk software itself to do the reordering
    (this is called "simple" in TCQ terminology) It does not
    yet allow the TCQ "head of queue" command, allowing the
    current tagged request to go to head of queue, which is
    a simple way of manifesting a "high priority" request.

3) SATA drives are not yet multi-initiator?

Largely b/c of 2 and 3, multi-initiator SCSI RAID'ed drives
are likely to whomp SATA II drives for a while yet (read: a
year or two) in multiuser PostGres applications.