Re: Simple question about running a function. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From SQL Padawan
Subject Re: Simple question about running a function.
Date
Re: Simple question about running a function.
List pgsql-novice
Hi David and thank you for trying to help the terminally stupid!

> > How do I tell psql/PL/pgSQL that I want to suppress the output for
> > the test?

> By doing exactly what the error message told you.  Use PERFORM instead of SELECT...on the exact query whose output
youwish to ignore, not an indirect caller.

OK - so, following your input, I searched further and I found a post by Pavel Stehule - great I thought, a major
contributor- see here:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/42922661/470530

his example is this function which I duly created (and not, as you pointed out, compiled!)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo()
RETURNS void AS $$
BEGIN
  RAISE NOTICE 'Hello from void function';
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

which I run as a direct call as in the example.

test=# SELECT foo();
NOTICE:  Hello from void function
 foo
-----
(1 row)

So, then I ran this.

-- in PLpgSQL
DO $$
BEGIN
  PERFORM foo(); -- is ok
END;
$$;

with a result I found surprising - as follows.

NOTICE:  Hello from void function
DO
Time: 8.704 ms

I thought that the PERFORM "swallowed" the output?

So, then I went back to my own function:

create or replace function test_fn_6()
returns VOID as $$
DECLARE
BEGIN
  FOR r IN 1..10000 LOOP

    SELECT ('A string');

  END LOOP;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

and then I tried.

DO $$
BEGIN
  PERFORM test_fn_6();
END;
$$;

but get the error.

ERROR:  query has no destination for result data
HINT:  If you want to discard the results of a SELECT, use PERFORM instead.
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function test_fn_6() line 6 at SQL statement
SQL statement "SELECT test_fn_6()"
PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 3 at PERFORM

Now, I thought from Pavel Stehule's post that my function's output would/should be swallowed - but then the foo()
exampleproduced a text output?

I'm really puzzled here... I mean what I'm asking for is really simple - pl/pgsql 101 and I can't even get a simple
functionto execute multiple times in the background.

I'm not asking for the sun, moon and stars here...

rgs,

SQLP!