Re: Any way to figure out why a session stopped? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Terrence Brannon
Subject Re: Any way to figure out why a session stopped?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 07:13 PM, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> I was running a large job, started on Wednesday evening. The job, which
> used a perl script and DBI to do some manipulation and pattern
> extraction
> from full-text documents in a PostgreSQL database (version 7.1.3,
> running
> on debian linux), stopped about 1/3 of the way through its task.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't still have the window open from which I ran the
> script. Is there any way to figure out why it stopped,

perldoc DBI will tell you:

<quote>

"trace"
              DBI->trace($trace_level)
              DBI->trace($trace_level, $trace_filename)

            DBI trace information can be enabled for all handles
            using the "trace" DBI class method. To enable trace
            information for a specific handle, use the similar
            "$h-">"trace" method described elsewhere.

            Trace levels are as follows:

              0 - Trace disabled.
              1 - Trace DBI method calls returning with results or
errors.
              2 - Trace method entry with parameters and returning
with results.
              3 - As above, adding some high-level information
from the driver
                  and some internal information from the DBI.
              4 - As above, adding more detailed information from
the driver.
                  Also includes DBI mutex information when using
threaded Perl.
              5 and above - As above but with more and more
obscure information.

            Trace level 1 is best for a simple overview of what's
            happening.

</quote>