Re: Reason(s) not to use a stored procedure - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ilan Volow
Subject Re: Reason(s) not to use a stored procedure
Date
List pgsql-novice
IMHO, like most everything dealing with any kind of software development, it's an engineering tradeoff.

When I write plpgsql stored procedures, I am trading:

- Easy portability between databases  (to the extent that SQL is portable between databases)

- Niceties like IDE's with useful IDE stuff like being able to search through code  (I had to write a custom application to do this with plpgsql).

- Ease of SCM  (I am having to write a custom application to do this with plpgsql)

- Ease of debugging  (via using a real debugger, that I have to do absolutely no work at all to install and that I don't have to buy)

- Maintainability. I personally find maintaining large bunches of plpgsql to be a major PITA. Code can easily get lost if you restore a dump in the wrong way.

- A good, clean separation between application layers and storage layers

for:

- Using loops and variables so I don't  have to write and debug a cluster**** of SQL spaghetti.

- Avoiding getting involved with introducing a separate middle-ware server.

- Not having to change the Objective-C code for my rich-client,  recompile it, and redeploy it to get the change in behavior I want. Updates are instantaneous and centralized.

Probably not the stuff that your professor mentioned, but it's what's been my experience. Other experiences may vary.