Re: Semaphore trouble for installation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tomeh, Husam
Subject Re: Semaphore trouble for installation
Date
List pgsql-novice
The max_connection is a postgres parameter you can change. You can modify its value by editing the PostgreSQL.conf file and restart the PostgreSQL. (The parameter can not be modified dynamically, ie, after PostgreSQL has been started). Your error message shows you have a max_connections set currently to 10, so I'm not sure whether you can get by using a lower value - looks like you ultimately want to modify the server's kernel semaphore parameter.

----

    Husam

From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Yadnyesh Joshi
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 10:48 PM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] Semaphore trouble for installation

Hi,
I have installed postgre-sql in directory /usr/local1/postgres
Now, I am trying to run /usr/local1/postgres/bin/initdb -D /usr/local1/postgres/data
I got following error.

> initdb -D /usr/local1/postgres/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local1/postgres/data ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/global ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/base ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /usr/local1/postgres/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local1/postgres/data/base/1 ... FATAL:  could not create semaphores: No space left on device
DETAIL:  Failed system call was semget(1, 17, 03600).
HINT:  This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
        It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the respective kernel parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections parameter (currently 10).
        The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about configuring your system for PostgreSQL.
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/usr/local1/postgres/data"

Since I am using Solaris OS, I may need to reboot the machine to change the value of semmns. I don't want to do that. How can I reduce the parameter max_connections and rerun the command?

Thank you,
Yadnyesh.

Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.

                                                                                                                         FADLD Tag