Re: [BUGS] BUG #14885: mistake in sorting win1251 chars - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kalin Daskalov
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14885: mistake in sorting win1251 chars
Date
Re: [BUGS] BUG #14885: mistake in sorting win1251 chars  (Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,
I understand you well and this exactly is the situation.

"иa"
"йa"
"иb"
"йb"
"иc"

I have to admit that this is not PostgreSQL problem.

In fact my previous compares are based on ASCII comparison - based on the order of the chars.
Now I test with ANSI comparison realized with MS Windows system functions and the result the same as in PostgreSQL.

But this is not appropriate. In fact if Cyrillic alphabet these are different letters and in Bulgarian language no one does expect this behavior. It's almost like to decide that Latin letters "i" and "y" should have such behavior.
Just the problem is elsewhere... And I have no decision.

Regards,
Kalin Daskalov

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM,  <k.daskalov.911@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a small example:
> "АЙГЕР"
> "АИКО"
> "АЙКОН"

Are you sure it's sorting badly? In some collations some letters sort
equally, you should try:

"АИКО"
"АЙКОН"
and
"АИКОH"
"АЙКО"

as "И" may be sorting in the same place as "Й" and it is deciding by the tails.

It happens in spanish with the tildes ( a and à sort in the same
place, so unless they are the only difference order depends on aht is
around:
test=> select * from ( values ('a'),('à'),('ay'),('àx'),('za'),('zà')
) x order by 1;
 column1
---------
 àx
 ay
 za
 zà
(6 rows)
)

Doing something like this with your alphabet may shed some light on the issue.

(note, this was done with locale en_US.utf-8 )

Francisco Olarte.