Re: Postgresql + containerization possible use case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From o1bigtenor
Subject Re: Postgresql + containerization possible use case
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 3:24 AM Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
Hi
we are running some 140 remote servers (in the 7 seas via satellite connections), and in each one of them we run:
- jboss
- postgresql
- uucp (not as a daemon)
- gpsd
- samba
- and possibly some other services

Hardware and software upgrades are very hard since there is no physical access to those servers by trained personnel, and also there is a diversity of software versions.

The idea for future upgrades is to containerize certain aspects of the software. The questions are (I am not skilled in docker, only minimal contact with lxd) :
- is this a valid use case for containerization?
- are there any gotchas around postgersql, the reliability of the system ?
- since we are talking about 4+ basic services (pgsqk, jboss, uucp, samba), is docker a good fit or should we be looking into lxd as well?
- are there any success stories of other after following a similar path?

My experience with LXD is that upon install you are now on a regular update plan that is impossible to change.
This means that your very expensive data connection will be preempted for updates at the whim of the
canonical crew. Suggest not using such (most using such on wireless connections seem to have found
the resultant issues less than wonderful - - cost (on the data connection) being #1 and the inability to achieve
solid reliability crowding it for #2).

IMO     HTH