Re: gsoc knn spgist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: gsoc knn spgist
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Костя Кузнецов <chapaev28@yandex.ru> wrote:
Hello.

I submit a proposal. But Heikki Linnakangas write comments that i dont have a plan of implementation.

My project is knn for spgist.

Can I ask you a few questions?

1. I research a commit gist knn implementation. in gist implementation in role of queue is ised rtree(with distance comparator) , in spgist implementation this is List. Can i use rtree in spgist ? if i cant then i can use.

KNN-GiST uses RB-tree for queue. RB-tree is very different from R-tree. And yes, it can be used in SP-GiST. However, alternative is heap (in-memory structure, not table heap). I don't know why GiST doesn't use heap instead of RB-tree.

----
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.