Re: SQL/JSON path issues/questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: SQL/JSON path issues/questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:22 PM Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Now I'm looking at the @? and @@ operators, and getting a bit
> confused.  This following query returns true, but I can't determine
> why:
>
> # SELECT '{"a":[1,2,3,4,5]}'::jsonb @? '$.b == "hello"'::jsonpath;
>  ?column?
> ----------
> (1 row)
>
> "b" is not a valid item, so there should be no match.  Perhaps it's my
> misunderstanding of how these operators are supposed to work, but the
> documentation is quite terse on the behaviour.

So, the result of jsonpath evaluation is single value "false".

# SELECT jsonb_path_query_array('{"a":[1,2,3,4,5]}'::jsonb, '$.b == "hello"');
 jsonb_path_query_array
 [false]
(1 row)

@@ operator checks that result is "true".  This is why it returns "false".

@? operator checks if result is not empty.  So, it's single "false"
value, not empty list.  This is why it returns "true".

Perhaps, we need to clarify this in docs providing more explanation.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company