Re: Distance from point to box - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: Distance from point to box
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

ISTM that you miss the projection on the segment if dx=0 or dy=0.

I don't need to find projection itself, I need only distance. When dx = 0
then nearest point is on horizontal line of box, so distance to it is dy.
Same when dy = 0. When both of them are 0 then point is in the box.

Indeed. I thought that the box sides where not parallel to the axis, but they are. So I do not see why it should be more complex. Maybe they is a general algorithm which works for polygons, and they use it for boxes?

Yeah, this answers question #1, but not #2 and #3 :)

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.