Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, Aleksander!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:12 PM Aleksander Alekseev
<aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
> This thread is a fork of [1], created per request by several people in
> the discussion. It includes two patches from the patchset that we
> believe can be delivered in PG15. The rest of the patches are
> targeting PG >= 16 and can be discussed further in [1].

Thank you for putting this into a separate thread.

> v19-0001 changes the format string for XIDs from %u to XID_FMT. This
> refactoring allows us to switch to UINT64_FORMAT by changing one
> #define in the future patches.
>
> Kyotaro suggested using `errmsg("blah blah  %lld ..", (long long)
> xid)` instead in order to simplify localization of the error messages.
> Personally I don't have a strong opinion here. Either approach will
> work and will affect the error messages eventually. Please let us know
> what you think.

I'm not a localization expert.  Could you clarify what localization
messages should look like if we switch to XID_FMT?  And will we have
to change them if change the definition of XID_FMT?

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov