Re: unnesting multirange data types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: unnesting multirange data types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 7:34 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> On 2021-Jun-27, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
> > BTW, I found some small inconsistencies in the declaration of
> > multirange operators in the system catalog.  Nothing critical, but if
> > we decide to bump catversion in beta3, this patch is also nice to
> > push.
>
> Hmm, I think you should push this and not bump catversion.  That way,
> nobody is forced to initdb if we end up not having a catversion bump for
> some other reason; but also anybody who initdb's with beta3 or later
> will get the correct descriptions.
>
> If you don't push it, everybody will have the wrong descriptions.

True, but I'm a bit uncomfortable about user instances with different
catalogs but the same catversions.  On the other hand, initdb's with
beta3 or later will be the vast majority among pg14 instances.

Did we have similar precedents in the past?

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov