Re: Patch for ginCombineData - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: Patch for ginCombineData
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Robert Abraham <robert.abraham86@googlemail.com> wrote:
we are using gin indexes on big tables. these tables happen to have several billion rows.
the index creation fails in ginCombineData in src/backend/access/ginbulk.c because repalloc is limited to 1 gb.
this limitation makes no sense in this context (compare comments in src/include/utils/memutils.h).
To overcome this limitation on tables with lots of rows repalloc_huge is used.
The test suite still succeeds on my machine.
Find the patch attached,

Thank you for notice and for the patch!
You should have maintenance_work_mem > 1gb and some very frequent entry so that it's posting list exceeds 1 gb itself.
These circumstances shouldn't be very rare in modern systems. I think it could be backpatched.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company