Re: PostgreSQL survey - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Nikolas Everett
Subject Re: PostgreSQL survey
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> 1. Anyone using PostgreSQL for enterprise mission critical system ?
I've worked at two companies that run their mission critical applications on PostgreSQL.

> 2. How big are the servers you are running PostgreSQL, Is there
> anyone using more than 32 cores or 256GB memory ?
Ours are likely about half that size and work wonderfully.

> 3. What OS you are using to run this mission critical system on
> PostgreSQL ? Linux, Unix ?
I've seen both RHEL and Debian.

> 4. Who provides PostgreSQL support ? Do you have any support
> contract with a third party company ? If so, how much is the
> monthly support fee ?
We've got impecable support from the mailing lists.  It is tough to find a DBA that knows PostgreSQL.  In general my experience has been that there are far fewer warts on PostgreSQL than on Oracle.

Nik

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA) <bnicholson@hp.com> wrote:
> [...]

Sorry to derail the thread - but 500k tps on read and 30k tps on mixed workload of a single server - wow...  Do you have a comparison for the workload against 9.1?  I'm curious about the factor of improvement.

Thanks,
Brad.