Re: PostgreSQL on Power Linux - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Nikolas Everett
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on Power Linux
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM, James Freeman <james@quru.com> wrote:

Hi Nik,

I don't disagree with your points on price of the Power platform or lack of wider adoption - however it's really kind of chicken and egg - we're only going to get wider adoption if everything falls into line. Opinion is sure to differ on what it would require but for me I would suspect you would need increased visibility that says "Postgres on Power can beat technology x hands down" - that's my bit as I don't think the wider world is aware of Power.

Well, five years ago Power on Linux beat x86 hands down for us.  It became a problem later but only due to lack of wider adoption and price/interoperability.

Regarding price and adoption - this is definitely the other big issue. I can't predict how this will go but the OpenPOWER consortium may go some way to lower pricing and wider adoption - I believe they have motherboard make Tyan engaged and whilst there is no physical product to show for it yet perhaps this could lead to white box Power solutions which would drive the cost down and hence adoption up. It would also pave the way (potentially) for competitors to IBM in the hardware space so buyers would no longer be single-sourced for their servers.

Cool!

Nik